Tag: vCenter

Leave a reply

Removing vmnic from vDS from esxi host

Early this morning, I had to reboot my vCenter, as there were some issues with it where I had to reboot it. However, after it came back up it was no longer reachable. Rebooted a second time and still got the same results. So I connected to the host client, and disconnected the network.

Big mistake….

Didn’t realize that when a VM is on a vDS, you can’t connect the VM back to the network. And without any standard switches, I was in a bind. After some searching, I found that I could reconfigure the vDS on the host that the vCenter resides on. This pretty much entailed removing a vmnic from the vDS and then reattaching it to a vSwitch. Below are the commands that I used to do this.

To get a list and note down the port ID and switch name

esxcli network vswitch dvs vmware list

This removes the vmnic from the vDS\vSwitch

esxcfg-vswitch -Q vmnicXX -V <port_id> <name_of_vswitch>

Now, if haven’t create a standard vSwitch, and add the vmnic to the vSwitch

esxcli network vswitch standard uplink add --uplink-name=vmnicXX --vswitch-name=<name_of_vSwitch>

Now, modify the VM to connect to vSwitch and now you should be back up and running. Now, you can revert those changes back if you need to.

In my case, I may redesign my virtual network to have a my VCSA on a vSwitch rather than distributed, just in case this happens again.


Leave a reply

Finally Migrated to 6.5U3

So in my last post, I was struggling with updating VCSA 6.0 to VCSA 6.5U3. I opened up an SR, and the initial call had me to restore the Machine SSL to use the VMCA. Feeling confident that would work, the tech ended the call mid way through the update.

Two days later, after examining logs, and looking. through the certificate store, I noticed that there were 2 certs had aliases of my cert servers. Before I removed those two certs, I stood up a new 6.0 VCSA just to see if it would update to 6.5. I imported the cert chain, created a custom machine ssl and it updated without out issue.

Back to the original VCSA, I removed the 2 certs and added the cert chain. After the VCSA saw the 2 certs, I proceeded with the update.

Happy to say after about 3 days, my vCenter is now on 6.5U3.

If you happen to get failing to start vpxd when updating, check the following logs in

/var/log/vmware/vpxd


%d bloggers like this:
Bitnami